Scroll DownAcademic Buildings - University of Manchester

Case Study: University of Manchester

Project Synopsis: Multiple Listed Buildings at historic site revived using Clement steel windows

Following consultation with the city planning department, Mather & Ellis Stonemasons ordered Clement W20 steel windows for phases 3,4 and 5 of works completed during 2014. Steel windows were replaced in many of the University’s fine buildings including The Beyer Building, John Owens Building and The Christie Library.

The Beyer (photograph on left below) opened in 1887 to house geology, zoology and botany facilities and was named in memory of Charles Beyer (1813–1876), a German born engineer and major donor to Owens College, which later became The University of Manchester. The Gothic style John Owens Building (middle photograph below) was the first on this site. Like all the early structures, it was designed by the local architect Alfred Waterhouse, who in 1868 had won the competition to design a new Town Hall for Manchester and who later drew up plans for the Natural History Museum in London. The Christie Library (photograph above) was built in 1895–8. It was the gift of Richard Copley Christie, historian, bibliophile, lawyer and executor of industrialist Joseph Whitworth.

All the buildings are listed and have significant historical importance in both a regional and national context, which was why specifying the appropriate window suite was incredibly important to ensure sensitive replica replacement.

Although the Clement W20 steel window system was used throughout, every building had individual design and installation specifications to maintain the correct appearance.

Peter Clement, Chief Executive at Clement Windows said: “It has been a privilege to be involved in the restoration of the original buildings at the University of Manchester. The team at Clement are very proud of the work completed”.

Academic Buildings - University of Manchester