- ABOUT US
- CASE STUDIES
The town of Whitchurch in Hampshire is a special place: most of the town is a Conservation Area, the amount of wildlife in and near the River Test means its course and banks are designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, and the town is the Gateway to the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the third largest of Britain's 46 AONBs.
The current Town Hall was built by a local landowner, Lord Middleton, in or around 1791, using some of the timbers from the Old Town House that had stood in the centre of The Square, and was demolished in the 1780s.
During the 1800s the building had many tenants including the Mechanics Institute and a furniture warehouse.
Records show that in the 1900s the building was also put to a variety of uses. The local Magistrate held sessions, two rooms were used to shelter Military Units passing through Whitchurch, and in 1919 the building was used by the National Federation of Discharged Soldiers and Sailors. Parish Councils were set up in 1896, but met at the Poor Law Institute (the Gables). More recently, the National Fire Service was accommodated in the lower middle section of the building. In 1946, Midland Bank, (now HSBC) was in the lower right hand corner. The Town Band practiced here, and the British Legion used the upper floor.
Recently, an extensive program of refurbishment works has taken place to improve the Grade II* Listed Building. This included new steel doors and windows by Clement for the front elevation. The Clement W20 range was chosen for both, with krypton gas filled units. Ash pull handles perfectly complement the steel doors and Boleyn handles were chosen for the steel windows.
Sarah Weir, Clerk at Whitchurch Town Council said “The Town Council are really pleased with the new windows and door which are modern, practical and in keeping with the historic building.”
Site: Whitchurch Town Hall, Whitchurch, Hampshire RG28 7DW
Contractor: Vale Southern Construction Ltd, Portsmouth PO3 5NU
Specification: Clement W20 range of steel windows.
Colour: RAL 7011 (Iron Grey) Semi gloss
Furniture: Ash pull handles and Boleyn handles in a dark bronze finish
Clement bespoke steel windows are manufactured from hot rolled steel window and door profiles generally in compliance with BS 6510 Revision 10 Nov 2020 which are produced from 98% recycled steel source material. Hot dip zinc galvanised to EN ISO BS:1461 and with a polyester powder coat paint finish to BS:6497 2005 EN 13438 2018.